ΦΩΝΗ ΚΥΠΡΙΩΝ – KIBRISLILARIN SESİ – CYPRIOTS’ VOICE
The bi-communal forum “CYPRIOTS’ VOICE”, having examined the current situation in the Cyprus issue believe that at this time there is an immediate need to undertake action mainly at the political and civil society levels, and proposes the following:
- The joint declaration and the Obstacles of a Settlement: Cypriots” Voice endorses the joint declaration achieved between the parties for the resumption of the Cyprus negotiations under the good services o the UN and with the efforts the international community. We believe that it is paramount necessity the citizens of both parts of Cyprus to join our efforts towards preparing the society to support the attainment for a consensus in the negotiations under the spirit of the joint declaration as well as the UN Security Council resolutions, the High Level Agreements of 1977 and 1979, the UN plan for a comprehensive solution; and the 2008 agreement regarding the Federal Structure of the New Federal Republic of Cyprus and the parity of the two Constituent states.
- In the new process we believe that the leadership of the negotiating taskforce, need to approach the Cyprus Problem from an out-of-the box perspective. This can be achieved only if the two sides, through breakthrough thinking, agree to focus not on the problem and the various disagreements that they currently have but on the solution. Therefore, in attempting to form a common state the two sides need to build trust by simultaneously satisfying each side’s main political and economic interests.
- Euro-elections and Cyprus: The forthcoming elections of the European Parliament should be addressed by the parties in Cyprus as an opportunity to elevate the importance of the participation of Turkish Cypriots in the process. The political parties and groups should work towards motivating the citizens living in the northern part of Cyprus to work for the election of two Turkish Cypriot in the European Parliament to accentuate their concern about their isolation from the European Union and stipulate their commitment to participate actively in the European family. Under the abnormality we still encounter in our country, Cypriots’ Voice believe that the elections can be held in those areas in which the Government of the Republic of Cyprus exercises effective control (protocol 10, art. 2). For the purpose of the elections of the European Parliament, splitting the national constituency into more than one constituencies is currently being implemented in Belgium, France, Republic of Ireland and UK. Cyprus should split her constituency into two constituencies; the Greek speaking electoral college and the Turkish speaking electoral college. The presence of Turkish Cypriots as Members of the European Parliament could seal the commitment of the European community towards the settlement of the Cyprus issue in a multicultural environment embraced under European security concept.
- Cooperation for Cyprus: Cypriots’ Voice believe that the society demands change the political culture of the political elite in Cyprus towards a real patriotic pro-Cypriot approach so that all parties can work together on most issues to reach outcomes that could benefit all. To this effect we call for cooperation of the main political forces representing the vast majority of the population, to work diligently towards the acceptance and implementation of the negotiated settlement that can be achieved under the new effort .
- Communiqué no 25 – Cypriots’ Voice 14/2/2014